[phobos] [D-Programming-Language/phobos] a15e68: Accidentally committed with a bunch of debugging c...

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Mon May 2 14:44:15 PDT 2011

>> Actually, one of my big concerns with using pull requests is that I want
>> near-instant feedback from the auto tester to make sure my stuff works on
>> all platforms.  It's frustrating to have to wait an indeterminate amount of
>> time for such feedback.
>
> I definitely understand that, but if we do that, then code isn't getting
> reviewed. And the reviews on github have definitely been helping improve code.
> As far as code quality goes, pull requests are very much a good thing.

Probably the matter of auto-testing should be best solved by improving
the auto-tester.

One thing that has been learned at Facebook the hard way is that
seemingly trivial changes can actually introduce pernicious bugs. Also,
it's difficult to draw a line between what's trivial and what isn't.
Today there is virtually no change to the main trunk that has not been
seen by at least one extra person than the committer.

There aren't a lot of us but I think it shouldn't be difficult for each
of us to look over and merge a pull request once in a while. Only in
case a minor pull request just sits there for a while and repeated
emails cause no answer, I think it's okay at our organization size to
just allow the pull request author to pull the code.