[phobos] FreeBSD 32 still fails unittests for std.datetime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon May 2 23:12:06 PDT 2011

> I suspect the 4,000 _assertPred instances add a lot to the memory
> consumption, as well as it taking a looong time to compile them all on my
> poor FreeBSD box. I know we've had this discussion before, but boring old
> assert() is quick to compile and memory efficient.

Well, assert sucks in comparison to _assertPred, honestly, which is why it's
used very little in std.datetime. I _have_ been rewriting the unit tests in
std.datetime such that they use more loops and the like so that there will be
fewer lines with _assertPred, but _assertPred is way better than straight
assert, which is why I use it heavily. It makes debugging test failures much
easier. But it takes time to rewrite the unit tests, and I only have so much,
so it's taking a while. The fact that dmd currently fails to compile Phobos
due to CTFE bugs doesn't help either.