[phobos] large object files and binaries

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue May 3 09:57:28 PDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 7:39 AM, Steve Schveighoffer wrote:
> Dmd has steadily been making binaries more bloated for the last couple years
> (many times pointed out in the NG and there are several bugzilla reports).

There are two causes of this:

1. Typeinfo getting larger, and people wanting more features in Typeinfo (like
precise gc) so this will continue to increase.

2. Every phobos module imports and relies on every other one.

To find out why .o files are large, run obj2asm on it. To find out why
executables are large, compile with the -map switch and examine the linker .map
file. <rant>AFAIK, I'm the only person who ever does this.</rant>

Please, everyone. Once in a while, run obj2asm on the library module you're
developing and have a look-see at what is coming out of the compiler.