[phobos] Any reason we're not ready for a release?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu May 5 01:33:04 PDT 2011

> >> I folded in patches to dmd requested by Qt. If there are other issues
> >> with Qt, are they in bugzilla?
> >
> > No, I don't believe so. I just recall that when the recent CTFE changes
> > came up in one of the threads in the main newsgroup, and I mentioned
> > that they were still broken, because my recent changes to std.datetime
> > weren't compiling, Max said that they were causing a lot of failures for
> > QtD as well. I doubt that he would have created a bug report though,
> > given that Don was in the middle of his changes. It's quite possible
> > that it compiles fine now though. I just think that it should be
> > verified that the CTFE changes are now stable enough that QtD is no
> > longer failing to build because of them as it was before. Much as Don's
> > changes are definitely something that we want, they risk causing serious
> > regressions if we're not careful.
>
> I added a lot more very harsh sanity checks to the CTFE engine, so
> there's very little risk of wrong-code regressions.
> If there are any regressions, they will probably be an ICE, on
> something which previously worked by pure luck.
>
> I think we should roll out a beta, as soon as Phobos unittests pass.

That's fine with me. I don't see a problem with that. I just know that stuff
was definitely broken before while you were making your changes, and we need
to do our best to make sure that such regressions are fixed or that they
shouldn't have been compiling in the first place. Hopefully the beta will
catch those.