[phobos] Gcx: Would we ever want more than one?

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:01:23 PDT 2011

I'm looking to get rid of the global malloc lock for small memory
allocations.  A major barrier to pulling this off within the current GC
design is the fact that Gcx is a struct, which suggests the possibility
of having more than one instance and makes it more difficult to create
thread-local objects.  Is there any reason why we would ever want more
than one garbage collector instance?  If not, why is Gcx a struct
instead of just a bunch of __gshared variables?