[phobos] Scheduled for deprecation messages

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 22 15:17:06 PDT 2011

Okay. From the looks of it, at same point relatively soon, we're going to have
the ability to give deprecated a message, which will improve deprecated
considerably, but we have not agreed on any changes to deprecated which would
support "scheduled for deprecation." We have been using pragmas to add
messages to some of the stuff that's been scheduled for deprecation, but that
only works with templated stuff, and some people have been complaining about
it, particularly since the messages don't (and can't) tell them _where_ in
their code the soon to be deprecated stuff is being used. Given the complaints
and the fact that we can't actually use messages unilaterally with stuff which
has been scheduled for deprecation, at this point, I'm inclined to think that
we'd be better off just removing the pragmas on stuff that's been scheduled for
deprecation. Is anyone opposed to this?

If not, then I'd like to make the changes ASAP so that they can make it into
the next release. I don't think that anything else has been scheduled for
deprecation since the last release, but since the messages have been causing
complaints, I'd like to get the situation settled, and if we're not going to
be improving deprecated to deal with "scheduled for deprecation" anytime soon,
then I think that we should just drop the practice of using pragmas for it.

I'd leave in the pragmas on the stuff which has already been deprecated until
deprecated can take a message, but for the "scheduled for deprecation" stuff, I
think that we should remove the pragmas, since they appear to be primarily
annoying people.

So, in the long run, when deprecating stuff, we'd do it like so:

1. Mark something as scheduled for deprecated in the documentation and the
changelog.

2. Mark it as deprecated and give deprecated an informative message.

3. Remove the deprecated symbol.

There would be no messages until #2. In any case, this is probably a bit long
for a fairly simple question: is anyone opposed to my going and removing all
of the "scheduled for deprecation" pragmas so that they aren't in the next
release, given that pretty much everyone who mentions them doesn't like them?