[phobos] Pull request testing.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 6 04:40:05 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 15:31:26 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On 06.09.2011 7:36, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> > The pull-request auto-tester is now available for druntime and phobos,
> > as well as dmd.
> >
> > http://yebblies.com/results/
>
> Looks like there is a problem with Phobos datetime on test machine, off
> by 1 hour  - DST problem?

I'm working on it. It's a combination of an actual bug surrounding DST changes
and the fact that you can't actually test that SysTime(dateTime) is going to
be equal to dateTime during a DST change, because the OS is inconsistent
between time zones on what it does when the requested time is during a DST
switch (or even within an hour or two of it in some cases). Any time that you
try and set a property of a SysTime, if that property would put it during a
DST switch, there are going to be issues, and as far as I can tell, there is
no way to get rid of them all. It's quite disgusting really. Adding or
subtracting from a time is fine, and because SysTime holds its time internally
in UTC, it avoids quite a few problems, but anytime that you have to convert
it to its time zone and back again (as must be done when setting its
properties), there are issues around DST. I could make it work if the OS were
actually consistent, but on Linux at least, it isn't. Bleh.

In any case. You don't want to hear/read me ranting about it. I'll have a
solution fairly soon, but I think that there's always going to be a risk of
the std.datetime unit tests failing in some time zone or other just because
one of the times tested happens to fall on one of that time zone's DST
switches.