[phobos] std/range unittest also slow on OSX

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Sep 24 19:13:02 PDT 2011

On Saturday, September 24, 2011 20:27:58 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Running this takes 26s on my OSX machine:
>
> make BUILD=debug generated/osx/debug/32/unittest/std/range
>
> Replacing "release" with "debug" above leads to 22s run time. Can anyone
> reproduce this?

If I try and run that command (with linux instead of osx and 64 instead of 32,
since I'm on 64-bit Linux), I get a ton of linker errors, so I don't know how
to compile and run the tests individually.

Running that binary is more or less instaneous for both debug and release, so
running the tests has neglible running time. Compiling and running all of the
unit tests and trying to time std.range with a stopwatch gives me about 15
seconds for both debug and release (but it could easily vary by a second or
two for both of them).

So, if you're saying that running the unit tests is taking 26 seconds in debug
and 22 in release, I'm not seeing anything like that. On the other hand, if
you're saying that the compilation takes that long, then I'm probably seeing
something similar (since I can't get exact times and our hardware differs, I
obviously can't be sure that I'm seeing the same thing, but it's close).