[phobos] time for a release?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Aug 30 15:38:50 PDT 2012

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 15:28:26 Brad Roberts wrote:
> Development seems to be at a bit of a standstill, so maybe it'd be worth
> taking what's been submitted and pushing it out as a beta.
>
> Maybe a tad silly since it hasn't been that long since the last release,
> and we haven't put together a lot of what we semi-promised to do before
> the next release, but...
>
> On the other hand, nearly every time someone suggests that it might be
> time for a release activity picks back up, so maybe that'll be what this
> email does too. :)

It hasn't even been a month since the last release and activity has been low
enough that I really don't see any point in doing another release right now -
especially since the beta stuff _isn't_ properly automated yet, so it seems to
take a fair bit of Walter's time to deal with it. That and we need to iron out
how we're going to deal with branching and the beta, since it definitely looks
like we should be moving to a model where we branch for betas. If we actually
take the time to sort that out for the next beta like we should, then that
means that the beta will take that much more work (though it will mean less
work for future betas - particularly if the release process is properly
automated like Andrei keeps asking for). So, it seems completely counter-
productive to do a beta right now.

But maybe it'll actually encourage more activity like you say. :)

I'd be doing more, but things have gotten very busy at work of late, forcing
me to work extra hours and whatnot. That and too much of what I've been doing
of late keeps requiring that other stuff that I've been doing be merged into
Phobos before I can create pull requests for it, so the whole pull cycle slows
things down. But at least I'm getting _some_ stuff done...

It does seem like activity on both the mailing lists and Phobos has trailed off
of late though. But many of the recent pull requests have been coming from new
contributors, so in spite of the low pull request creation rate, we're at
least getting new folks contributing.