[phobos] [dmd-internals] Planning software?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 17 09:34:32 PST 2012

> Hello,
>

> Walter and I were thinking of considering a sort of project planning software, i.e. one that tracks high-level tasks,
> goals, and milestones.
>
> Currently we have bugzilla for issue tracking, which is good for bugs and small enhancement requests. Then we have
> github which is excellent for revision tracking and such.
>
> What we currently lack is a sort of a higher level tool that helps us make plans together, order work items by urgency
> and importance, and share with the community what our goals and milestones are.
>
> Would you want to use such a tool, assuming of course it actually helps us? And, before I start asking around, do you
> know of such a tool?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

IMHO, we've got plenty of tools in our mix we just don't use them well.

Bugzilla already has several dimensions of scheduling, including severity, priority, and milestones.  Additionally, it's
probably way overdue to apply more structure to the products/components.  I know it's something Don has advocated before.

Wiki is a good document collaboration tool.

The DLang website is a good communication tool, as are the newsgroups/mailing lists.

Between bugzilla for fine grained categorization of issues/enhancements/whatever and a page on the website to state high
level goals, I'm not sure what else we really need.

I absolutely agree that we need to have a better roadmap and to execute on it, just not that another tool is needed or
useful.

My 2 cents,
Brad