[phobos] [dmd-internals] Planning software?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Tue Jan 17 12:16:23 PST 2012

On 1/17/12 11:34 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> IMHO, we've got plenty of tools in our mix we just don't use them well.
>
> Bugzilla already has several dimensions of scheduling, including severity, priority, and milestones.  Additionally, it's
> probably way overdue to apply more structure to the products/components.  I know it's something Don has advocated before.
>
> Wiki is a good document collaboration tool.
>
> The DLang website is a good communication tool, as are the newsgroups/mailing lists.
>
> Between bugzilla for fine grained categorization of issues/enhancements/whatever and a page on the website to state high
> level goals, I'm not sure what else we really need.
>
> I absolutely agree that we need to have a better roadmap and to execute on it, just not that another tool is needed or
> useful.

I understand your concern (expanded in your other messages). Let's,
however, not derail the discussion into a false choice. Yes, we do have
tools we don't use. That doesn't mean we should stop looking at _other_
tools that may be more adequate tools for our needs.

So the proof that we don't use bugzilla votes or priorities does not
prove e.g. trello.com would not be useful.

I think we have two good proposals. One is trello.com, the other is
github's new tools. The github chain does not seem very mature, but
integration and potential are definitely important.

Could you guys make trello.com accounts so we find each other there?
Let's give it a whirl.

Thanks,