[phobos] libcurl and linking openssl

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 25 18:02:33 PST 2012

I don't know if we need to make any changes to the official dmd.conf or not, but
I found that on my system (Arch Linux 64-bit), after it updated to libcurl,
7.24, I started getting this error when the etc.c.curl unit tests tried to
build:

Testing generated/linux/debug/64/unittest/etc/c/curl
/usr/bin/ld: generated/linux/debug/64/libphobos2.a(memory_396_620.o): undefined
reference to symbol '_end'
/usr/bin/ld: note: '_end' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 so try
adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

Adding -L-lssl fixes the problem.

It could just be how libcurl was built for my system or changes in 7.24
(though looking at the changelog for 7.24, I don't see anything that would
indicate that you didn't need SSL before and do now - it's clearly had SSL
support for some time). But I ran into the problem, so I thought that I should
point it out.