[phobos] Phobos Style Guide: Commenting out code

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 1 21:36:03 PDT 2012

Okay. It's long passed time that the remaining issues in my pull request to
the D style guide are addressed so that we can get it updated on the site.

My request:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org/pull/16

Current:

http://dlang.org/dstyle.html

One of the outsanding issues is the section on comments. I removed it, because
I see it as pointless and adding extra restrictions that we don't need - such
as requiring that block comments use /* */ or /+ +/ rather than // on each
line. I see no added value in such requirements, and Phobos in general doesn't
necessarily follow them as it is. However, the big one is version(none).

The guide currently says that you should use version(none) to comment out
blocks of code rather than actually commenting them out. We haven't been
following that rule, and I don't see any real value in it. The _only_ value
AFAIK is that the compiler will check it syntactically if it's in a
version(none) block while it won't if it's in a comment. The comment is
effectively unmaintained in either case, and you'll have to fix it up (or at
least make sure that it's valid) if you uncomment it later. So, I don't see
any reason to require that version(none) be used rather than a comment.

And personally, I think that commenting code out with an actual comment is
better, because then editors will syntax highlight it as commented out rather
than coloring it exactly the same as they color valid code. With
version(none), the code will look as if it's being used when it's not, whereas
it's immediately obvious with an actual comment.

 I say leave it up to the developer who commented out the code which they
prefer and remove the section on comments from the style guide completely. But
we need some sort of consensus on this before we can make the change. So, what
do the rest of you think?