[phobos] std.regexp deprecation?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 15 12:04:28 PDT 2012

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 20:50:10 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> While we're on the subject of deprecations, what's going to happen to
> std.regexp? It was apparently deprecated in 2.055 which is quite a few
> moons ago.

We're stuck with it right now. The problem is std.file.listDeps. listDeps can't
be removed yet, because it has an overload with functionality which dirEntries
doesn't have (something to do with glob matching IIRC), and listDeps uses
std.regexp (that exact overload IIRC). Until someone goes and creates an
appropriate overload of dirEntries, we can't remove listDeps, so we can't
remove std.regexp. Someone (cyershadow? who I think is Vlladimir?) was
supposedly going to create a pull request for it when it first came up, but
that never materialized, and neither I nor anyone else has spent the time to
deal with it. But I'm far from an expert with regexes, so I've been a bit
reticent to tackle the problem, and I've had plenty of else to do. So, it's
just sat there. It's not the end of the world for deprecated stuff to sit
around for a while (it _is_ deprecated, after all, so the compiler will
complain if you use it), but we really do need to get that sorted out so that
listDeps and std.regexp can be removed.