[phobos] Phobos unit tests running out of memory

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 4 15:21:28 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, September 05, 2012 00:07:41 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/4/12 9:38 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> > IIRC it was removed because compile times more than doubled.
>
> That always struck me as a simple parameter choosing problem. Can't we
> set the limit at which the GC enters in action high enough so only the
> few programs that really need a lot of RAM actually incur a collection?
> What am I missing?

I think that it pretty much just came down to a question of time. Walter tried
it out. It made things worse, so he removed it. He didn't want to spend the
time right then to figure out how to solve the speed problem. I fully expect
that it's possible to adjust it so that it improves efficiency rather than
harming it, but that requires time and effort that no one has yet been willing
to put forth.