[phobos] Automating release process: the changelog

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 13:58:46 PDT 2012

I recall there was a desire for automating all tasks involved in the
release process.

And one thing that is painful not only during release but almost
everyday is maintaining the changelog because:
a) Most folks are clueless as to whom and when should add changelog entry
b) Even those that have an idea about a) forgot to add entry for it
(esp. when pulling someone else work)
c) At least in Phobos changelog.dd is a common reason for failing auto-merge
d) Spending time to copy paste information that's already there in
Bugzilla? We had better ways to spend time.

As a proof of concept I've made a simple tool to simplify this task:
a small D script that generates full changelog (DMD, Phobos, druntime)
in the current DDoc form given 2 dates:
https://gist.github.com/3734045
(also it would be trivial to add coolness like different highlighting
for various level of severity and/or enhancement)

--
Dmitry Olshansky