[phobos] WTF is curl doing in Phobos???

Don Clugston dclugston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 01:04:52 PDT 2013

Now I cannot even build Phobos without libcurl.

I'm sorry, but this is insane.

I use curl with D professionally every day, and I just don't think curl is
anywhere near mature enough to be in a standard library.

The implementation in Phobos seems very naive, and seems unaware of the
shortcomings of curl. For example, curl can't handle a user name with a
colon in it. (Some of our clients do indeed have user names with colons in
them). We've found some very nasty bugs in its support for simultaneous
downloads. It behaves badly with certain types of FTP servers. Etc.

Including it in Phobos implies a level of support that we cannot possibly
provide.

Can we please move this into Deimos where it belongs?