[phobos] excessive vertical spacing?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Sun Jan 27 12:11:33 PST 2013

There's been sporadic discussion every now and then about recommended
style etc. Time to add to it :o).

I've noticed excessive empty lines in a few Phobos modules. For example:

         @property SysTime timeLastModified()
         {
             _ensureStatDone();

             return SysTime(unixTimeToStdTime(_statBuf.st_mtime));
         }

And so on for functions of 2-5 lines, and there's a bunch of them. It
would be difficult to argue that the vertical space adds to clarity as
the whole thing is just there.

Can we agree to be a bit more sparing with empty lines? If there's one
resource that's not abundant to all of us, that must be vertical space.

Thanks,