[phobos] excessive vertical spacing?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 28 12:04:45 PST 2013

On Monday, January 28, 2013 10:50:10 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/28/13 9:46 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > I actually prefer the blank line.
>
> I'm surprised, but it's a good lesson to learn. I honestly believed
> nobody would prefer that.

I pretty much always put a blank line before return statements precisely so
that they're visibly separate from the rest of the code. It's the same reason
why I pretty much always have a blank line after vairable declarations or
before or after if blocks or loops. It's less of a big deal in this
particular case, because there's only one line of code above it, but I pretty
much agree with Brad's reasoning on this. Blank lines are good for logically
separating out sections of code, and I use them for that quite a bit.