[phobos] excessive vertical spacing?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 28 15:16:32 PST 2013

On Monday, January 28, 2013 16:39:50 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/28/13 3:26 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> > I agree. I always put a blank line between expressions and statements:
> To restate what Dmitry said: I think this is a Pascal-ism that we need
> to actively move away from. It is actually damaging.

Whereas actively trying to limit the number of blank lines leads to harder to
read code IMHO. Certainly, it becomes a problem when you get stuff like

declaration;

statement;

declaration;

statement;
statement;

declaration;

since then you've got blank spaces practically other line, but in general I
find that people who avoid using blank spaces to separate out declarations and
other such blocks of code end up writing code that's much harder to read than
the equivalent which actually uses blank lines. It requires some finesse to
find a good balance, but in general, I really don't buy that avoiding vertical
whitespace is a good thing.