[phobos] Transferring Copyright to D Language Foundation

Jonathan M. Wilbur via phobos phobos at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 20 23:09:23 PST 2017

I would like there to be a Punycode library in the D standard
library. I tried to write one myself, but among the Wikipedia
page and the RFC, I could not quite figure it out. I am sure that
I could probably figure it out if I put the time and effort into
it, but that seems unnecessary. I found a Punycode repository on
GitHub that is written in D and looks perfectly fine.

Since I would like to submit pull requests to Phobos for other
things, and since some of my code will need Punycode encoding and
decoding, I wanted to get the owner of that repository to submit
the pull request. Then, after std.punycode becomes a reality,
then I can reliably submit my code.

The problem is that his code is copyrighted under his name using
the MIT license, yet, according to the D Wiki, you must turn over
the copyright to the D Language Foundation if you wish to submit
to Phobos. I have been in contact with him via email and he is
willing to forfeit the copyright to the D Language Foundation.

So my question is this: what is the best way--legally
speaking--to go about submitting his punycode library to Phobos?
How do I provide proof to the D Foundation that he has forfeit
his copyright (if he can even do that)? After that, should I
submit the pull request to Phobos (still giving him full credit),
or do I need to have him submit the pull request?

P.S. Punycode is used in internationalizing domain names, which
would have uses for std.uri or an std.dns (if such a thing comes
to exist).