[phobos] Transferring Copyright to D Language Foundation

Jonathan M. Wilbur via phobos phobos at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 22 18:36:26 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 12:10:33 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 07:09:23 Jonathan M. Wilbur via
> phobos wrote:
>> The problem is that his code is copyrighted under his name
>> using the MIT license, yet, according to the D Wiki, you must
>> turn over the copyright to the D Language Foundation if you
>> wish to submit to Phobos.
>
> Where in the wiki did you read this? This is the first that
> I've ever heard of it. I think that there was some kind of
> turning over of copyright that was required in dmd for getting
> gdc into gcc proper, and IIRC, there was a fair bit of
> complaining about that. Regardless, the code in Phobos is all
> copyrighted by individual authors. The key thing is that it
> needs to be licensed under Boost. So, if code exists under a
> different license, you'll need permission to get it relicensed
> under the Boost license.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Hey Jonathan, that's good to hear. That probably makes things a
lot easier both for contributors and the D Language Foundation!

As for where I read it:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor#Create_a_pull_request
"Please note that all contributions to DMD frontend, DMD backend,
Druntime, Phobos, or the official tools require that the
copyright to that code be assigned to the D Language Foundation."