[phobos] Transferring Copyright to D Language Foundation

Jonathan M. Wilbur via phobos phobos at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 22 19:23:11 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 07:50:39 UTC, Sebastian Wilzbach
wrote:
> The first question you need to ask yourself is not about
> licensing, but is this something that would potentially be
> acceptable within Phobos. In other words can you convince the
> majority of voters that it's worth shipping this code to
> everyone?

I am tempted to respond with why I think Punycode should be a
part of the standard library, but I will omit that, since I don't
want this thread to turn into a debate (or even us agreeing back
and forth if that is the case); I'll leave that to the formal
review process. The code is already written anyway, and it's
fairly small, so it's not a big deal if it gets rejected.

> Usually a comment on GitHub is enough as proof - the D Language
> foundation is still you so not all details have been worked out
> entirely. If you want to be in the safe side, let him mail a
> statement of his approval to the D Language foundation mailing
> address. I haven't looked at Ponycode, but please be aware that
> legally all contributors need to approve a license change. I
> remember one project which it took about one year to do so. In
> any case it's definitely not necessary that he submits a PR. If
> you want to, you can set the Git history of your commits to
> attribute him, but even this isn't necessary and seldomly done.

As for submitting the code, thanks for the advice. You have a
good plan. It sounds like this will be quite a bit easier than I
thought!