[phobos] Transferring Copyright to D Language Foundation

Jonathan M. Wilbur via phobos phobos at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 23 09:53:41 PST 2017

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 at 04:17:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> It looks like someone going by the username Greenify added that
> bit back in August. I have no idea who that is or where they
> got the idea that copyright assignment was a requirement.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Yeah, I think Greenify was mistaken. On the "Get Involved" page:

"Contributions to the source code are done via pull requests.
Please note that contributions to DMD source code will only be
accepted if the author agrees to have the copyright of the code
assigned to the D Language Foundation."

Note that this quote does not mention Phobos, so I have to think
that Greenify was probably mistaken. However, I have looked at a
few files in Phobos and I do not see formal copyright statements
at all, even though there is an "Authors" section. I assume that
unless otherwise stated, the copyright is automatically held by
the authors. If that's true, it affirms your claim that you do
not need to transfer the copyright for Phobos submissions.