[phobos] Issue6244, implementing 'powmod'

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Tue Oct 3 01:42:44 UTC 2017

A possible solution is to implement mul128 using primitives for 32- and
64-bit numbers. A possible signature would be:

void mul128(ulong a, ulong b, out ulong lo, out ulong hi);

The technique is to do the multiplication "by hand" as if you had two
numbers having two digits each. You obtain a 4-digit number.

Consider the two-digit decimal numbers ab and cd, for example 43 and 65.
Then the multiplication "by hand" is:

(10a + b) * (10c + d) = 100ac + 10(ad + bc) + bd

Since a, b, c, d are single digits it follows we only need 1-digit
multiplication and addition with carry. Now of course our base is not 10
but 2^^32, so we multiply two numbers, each having two 32-bit "digits"
and we get 128 bits worth of result.

mul128() would be a generally useful function to put in druntime. I
think someone on the general forum has implemented it already, you may
want to ask.

Andrei