[phobos] socketstream - what is going on?

Vincent thornik at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:07:50 UTC 2020

Hello everybody!

Long time ago I created same topic, but got no reasonable
response. Despite topic is quite important to EVERY single
network app.

1. Why module 'std.socketstream' is removed? What a SERIOUS
REASON was behind that?
2. Once thing is removed, FULL REPLACEMENT _must_ be provided.
Specifically, things like "mysocket.readLine()". I want to hear
from that "remover" where I should find this function? What
classes I should use instead? Such things should be reflected
somewhere in docs, modules, whatever. Breaking change cannot
happen just by will - it should have 'cure'!

I know that there is 'vibe.d', but I don't count it as a
solution, nor it's quality - it's 3rd party library (means it is
NOT standard and not under serious maintenance) and it is NOT
replacement to the socketstream due to simple reason: it's
'non-blocking' solution! (and quite big, BTW - tens classes
instead of one SocketStream)
I need simple, blockable socket with readLine() function. I had
it with standard Phobos module. Some smarty decide "you don't
need it" (reading my mind???) and ... just delete it! Bravo!
So... any solution after such "brave" action?