ubuntu 8.04 D 2.0 build?

Markus Koskimies markus at reaaliaika.net
Sun Jul 6 18:00:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:29:48 +0000, name wrote:

> The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
>
> (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
>
> I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?
>
> Thanks.

Hi, have anyone really got this working?

I just bought a new 64-bit computer, and installed 64-bit Xubuntu on it.
I have a bunch of programs written with D (version 1) and I have earlier
used "dmd" for compiling them (some older, but functional version).

---

First I fetched GDC from repository. It can't compile my more complex
programs, but that's another case. The simple programs were compiled, but
none of them is working, since every "writefln" with more than the format
string causes segfault:

	writefln("Hello, world!");	// Works

	writelfn("Number: %d", 1);	// Segfault

Aargh!

---

I went to digital mars web page and retrieved dmd. No luck - it works
only with 32-bit libraries :E One second I thought that maybe I should go
& fetch also the 32-bit standard libraries to get it working, but I
rejected that thought.

---

Allright, then, I went to fetch the GDC sources from SVN. I have tried to
get the phobos library configured (I think that the writefln -problem is
inside the runtime library), but at the moment with no luck.

	gdcc/trunk/d/phobos$ ./configure
	configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh

I'm open for good proposals to get the D compiler to produce executables,
that work... Hopefully there will be soon a new release of GDC (for
Ubuntu).