Building on Ubuntu -- what GCC sources to use?

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri May 31 04:17:02 PDT 2013

Am Fri, 31 May 2013 13:05:18 +0200
schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> So far when building from source on Ubuntu I've always used the
> gcc-snapshot sources.  This is a Bad Habit (it's specifically
> disallowed by Debian for building actual packages), but was an
> effective workaround in the period before GCC 4.8 was released.
>
> Anyway, now that 4.8 _has_ been released, the question is -- where to
> get the appropriate sources?  Ubuntu only has GCC 4.7.3 and earlier
> in its repositories, gcc-snapshot is now frozen (and probably is best
> to avoid if possible anyway).
>
> It seems best to download sources from the Debian repos as they
> should be patched to work with Debian/Ubuntu, but I thought I'd ask
> in case anyone has any advice.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
>      -- Joe

As multiarch support is in gcc-4.8 you can compile with the standard gcc
sources and it'll work.

If you still want the debian patches for other reasons there's a
gcc-4.8-source package in debian testing and apt-get source gcc-4.8
might work as well. But it seems those packages are not yet in ubuntu?