GDC for ARM MacOS / OSX

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Sat Aug 24 09:30:37 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 17:34:58 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 16:56:06 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
>>
>> If I understand Iain’s reply correctly, the showstopper was
>> lack of support for AArch64 / MacOS in GCC at the time. Has
>> that situation improved by now ?
>>
>> If the situation now makes either downloading or building GDC
>> / AArch64 / MacOS from sources possible, would someone be kind
>> enough to knock up a shell script for me ?
>>
>> NB I do have a working GDC/Linux on an x86/64 box now, so I
>> can compile D programs on that machine, with GDC, and also to
>> AArch64 using LDC on my Mac M2 machine.
>
> I haven't seen anything being posted or committed to GCC
> mainline around aarch64-darwin support. Despite getting emails
> of recent activity coming from the fork in github, I suspect it
> won't be made available for review in time for the feature
> freeze in September/October.
>
> If Iain S. is attending the Cauldron this year, I'll catch up
> with him in 3 weeks to find out where GCC support is at.
>
> I know for at least the last two releases it's been possible to
> build GCC *on* a Mac M1/M2, just not *for* a Mac M1/M2.

Thanks.

A thought: Since I have an x86-64 box, could I cross-compile D
programs for AArch64 output?  (This might sound a bit mad, but my
aim is to look at the quality of the code generated by GDC vs
LDC, and also to learn a AArch64 asm.) And I am a true D convert.

I would need the appropriate magic runes / switches for that kind
of cross-code generation. Could someone perhaps help me with
that? It would save me a lot of struggle.