DMD 1.032 and 2.016 releases

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 15:02:22 PDT 2008

"Tomas Lindquist Olsen" <tomas at famolsen.dk> wrote in message
news:g55q99$1r6u$1 at digitalmars.com...

>> I expect that a bitwise copy returned. Just like with structs.
>> What's the difference between char[2] and struct { char[2]; }?
>
> The former is passed (to a function) by reference, the latter by value.
> Having a type that's passed by ref, but return by val, seems inconsistent.

Having a type that's initialized by value and passed by ref also seems
inconsistent, as does a type whose .init is not the same type ;)

> Wasn't there plans to make static arrays value types? is this already so?

W mentioned it in passing but I don't know if it'll make it into D2.  Yeah,
I mean all the const-correctness doesn't really leave much room for anything
else, does it!  No macros either.  sigh.