Introduction to ArcLib Updated...

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:55:04 PST 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:35:34 +0300, Daniel Keep
> <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Denis Koroskin wrote:

>>> I bet you are using firefox, right?
>>> I have no problem with it under Opera.
>>
>> That's because Firefox is following the standard, and Opera isn't.  I
>> can't remember if it's defined in the HTTP or HTML specs, but the
>> browser is supposed to always act on the mime type, irrespective of what
>> the URL is.
>>
>>   -- daniel
>
> telnet svn.dsource.org 80
>>> GET /projects/arclib/downloads/screenshots/screenshot.png HTTP/1.1
>>> Host: svn.dsource.org
>>>
> << HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> << Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:11:37 GMT
> << Server: Apache
> << Last-Modified: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:28:57 GMT
> << ETag: "422//downloads/screenshots/screenshot.png"
> << Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> Headers are fine, MIME type is "application/octet-stream", which is also
> ok.
>
> RFC 2046 - MIME, Part two: Media Types
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046) states:
>> 4.2.  Image Media Type
>> Unrecognized subtypes of "image" should at a minimum be treated as
>> "application/octet-stream".
>
> Browser shouldn't force download in this case, it should try to view the
> image.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046#section-4.5.1

   The recommended action for an implementation that receives an
   "application/octet-stream" entity is to simply offer to put the data
   in a file, with any Content-Transfer-Encoding undone, or perhaps to
   use it as input to a user-specified process.

Checkmate.  :D

  -- Daniel