Niklaus Wirth Birthday Symposium

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Mar 14 10:24:39 PDT 2014

Am 14.03.2014 13:10, schrieb dope:
> some reading and listening thats interesting
>
> Niklaus Wirth celebrated his 80th birthday. The Niklaus Wirth
> Birthday Symposium, organised by the computer science department
> of ETH Zürich, was a celebration of the life and work of Niklaus
> Wirth on the occasion of his birthday. Details about the talks
> and speakers are available here. The talk of Niklaus Wirth
> himself is also available (complete programme).
>
> http://wirth-symposium.ethz.ch/programme.html

Adding the discussion I started back on Lambda the Ultimate.

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4894#comment

I am a fan of Wirth's work as he and his peers have proven that is
possible to have personal workstations OS done in memory safe systems
programming languages (Modula-2, Oberon and their successors)

Sadly the world at large ignored what was happening at ETHZ during the
mid 90's and decided to invest in optimizing C compilers instead.

--
Paulo