Fastest JSON parser in the world is a D project

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 21 15:40:17 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 22:24:30 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:17:16 +0000
> schrieb Laeeth Isharc <Laeeth.nospam at nospam-laeeth.com>:
>
>> Very impressive.
>>
>> Is this not quite interesting ?  Such a basic web back end
>> operation, and yet it's a very different picture from those
>> who say that one is I/O or network bound.  I already have JSON
>> files of a couple of gig, and they're only going to be bigger
>> over time, and this is a more generally interesting question.
>>
>> Seems like you now get 2.1 gigbytes/sec sequential read from a
>> cheap consumer SSD today...
>
> You have this huge amount of Reddit API JSON, right?
> I wonder if your processing could benefit from the fast
> skipping routines or even reading it as "trusted JSON".

The couple of gig were just Quandl metadata for one provider, but
you're right I have that Reddit data too.  And that's just a
beginning.  What some have been doing for a while, I'm beginning
to do now, and many others will be doing in the next few years -
just as soon as they have finished having meetings about what to
do...  I don't suppose they'll be using python, at least not for
long.

I am sure it could benefit - I kind of need to get some other
parts going first.  (For once it truly is a case of Knuth's 97%).
  But I'll be coming back to look at best way, for json, but text
files more generally.

Have you thought about writing up your experience with writing
fast json?  A bit like Walter's Dr Dobbs's article on wielding a
profiler to speed up dmd.

And actually if you have time, would you mind dropping me an
email?  laeeth at
kaledicassociates.com

Thanks.

Laeeth.