Open Methods: From C++ to D

Jean-Louis Leroy via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 30 08:10:03 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 14:37:14 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 13:35:22 UTC, Jean-Louis Leroy
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 04:48:11 UTC, Arun What was
>> your rationale for `openmethod` instead of just `method`?
>
> Just that `openmethod` precisely expresses it's intent and
> `method` is too generic.

I sort of agree, and somewhat regret not picking 'openmethod'. I
considered both. Also @specialize. If anyone had pushed for
@openmethod before the article, I would almost certainly have
given in.

My reasoning was, I hope to promote the term 'method' as the
standard name for polymorphism from outside, as opposed to vfunc.
We usually say "virtual functions", rarely "virtual member
functions". Membership is implicit.