DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Dec 22 13:46:39 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 12:18:25 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Thanks to Symmetry Investments, DConf is heading to London!
> We're still ironing out the details, but I've been sitting on
> this for weeks and, now that we have a venue, I just can't keep
> quiet about it any longer.
>
> I've updated the DConf site and published a blog post, but I
> ask that you please don't share this to reddit just yet. I want
> to wait until after Christmas to share it there. We're still
> ironing out some details (deadlines, prices, hotels) and I'll
> update the DConf site in the coming days with info as I get it.
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> http://dconf.org/2019/index.html
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2018/12/22/dconf-2019-shepherds-pie-edition/

Given that this conference format is dying off, is there any
explanation for why the D team wants to continue this antiquated
ritual?

https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era
http://subfurther.com/blog/2018/01/15/the-final-conf-down/
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/ogrdeyojqzosvjnthpsi@forum.dlang.org

It costs $3k to hire a pull request manager, something D
desperately needed, yet here you are having the average
conference participant spend that mostly on flights and hotels to
go to London, only to stare silently at presentations most of the
time, while surrounded by a room full of people. What are the
possible priorities that this can be considered a good idea?

The egregious waste of time and resources of this DConf format
strongly signals that D is not a serious effort to build a used
language, but a hobby project by two tech retirees, W&A, who just
want to prototype some different ideas, show it off to a bunch of
fellow hobbyists, and then have some beers and go sight-seeing.

If this is the core team's goal, please just stop stating
otherwise and broadcast this on the front page of the website, as
you're essentially doing by the way this blog post was written.
Giant companies like google or Microsoft can afford these
antiquated, giant wastes of time known as conferences and even
they are cutting back. The fact that the D team is moving forward
with this given how tech is moving is a horrible sign, suggesting
it is completely out of touch and unable to prioritize well.