Interfacing SQLite with DLang is very easy - why?

Selim Ozel sozel at wpi.edu
Sun Sep 1 16:18:47 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

I started to learn basics of SQLite last week for my small side
project & I was quite impressed with its form factor. Long story
short, I decided to call it directly from D Language after seeing
"This one simple trick allows D programmer use llama.cpp, rust
programmers hate him!" [1].

It simply worked with amalgamated sqlite files! What I did was to
create a single line of code include file and import it to my D
Language application, which is a port of the reference C
Application in SQLite references [2]. I also compiled the static
library using gcc & linked it together with the D Language
binaries. Guess what? It worked.

I am still scratching my head about how I did this and if I made
any mistakes because it feels quite un-natural to be able to link
together an output compiled by gcc with dmd. If someone could
please explain how & why this works, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I wrote a small blog post on how to replicate my work & source
files are on my github if anyone's interested in this.

Best wishes,
Selim

[1]
https://forum.dlang.org/post/qxctappnigkwvaqakeqf@forum.dlang.org