LDC 1.1.0 released

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 18 15:09:29 PST 2017

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 21:50:27 UTC, Sai wrote:
> I posted this in other thread, anything else that I can do
> besides recompiling druntime/phobos?

This is actually a bug in the binary package, which I just added
an issue for: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2008

Ubuntu 16.10 unfortunately broke forwards-compatibility for
libraries and compilers, in the sense that they patched the
linker to create position-independent executables by default. We
decided to follow suit and make LDC default to
position-independent code on Linux as well (which makes sense as
it enables ASLR and friends). Thus, setting
`-relocation-model=pic` doesn't change anything – as indicated in
the error message, the problem is in the C parts of the standard
library, not your D code.

This is because the packages are built on an older Ubuntu
version, with the default C compiler settings – which of course
implicitly default to non-PIC. We'll have to amend our build
scripts and push out a new point release to fix this. I'm rather
amazed that during six (!) beta versions, nobody tested the
binaries on 16.10…

(DMD 2.071.2 and older was completely broken on 16.10 for this
reason.)

  — David