English binary logic operators

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Fri Nov 24 07:00:10 PST 2006

antonio wrote:
> Ary Manzana wrote:
>> Bill Baxter escribió:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> After 20 years of C/C++ my use of && and || was pretty instinctual,
>>> but after just a few months of working with Python on the side I
>>> found I started typing 'and' and 'or' without thinking about it.  It
>>> makes complicated expressions more readable and would fit in great
>>> with D's more "modern" look.
>>>
>>> As noted before, I'm also in favor of allowing 'in' to replace ';' in
>>> foreach statements.
>>>
>>> --bb
>>
>> I guess the main reason to stick with symbols is some compatibility
>> with C/C++ source code.
>>
>> Anyway, I also like the idea of words instead of symbols. You benefit
>> from readability and it's also much more simpler to type (i.e. you
>> don't you shift or look in a new keyboar for them).
> Well..
>
> I'm an spanish programmer:
>
>   My code is written using Spanish terms like "valor" vs "value",
> "irSiguiente()" vs "goNext()"...
>
> the best of algebra symbology is the language independence:
>
>     [x..y] vs "Between x and y"
>     x < y  vs "x less than y"
>     a.b    vs "the b of a"  (Director Lingo used this sintax)
>     (a)b    vs "cast b to a"
>     a = b  vs "set value of a to value of b"
>     a == b vs "a equals to b"
>     { stamens } vs "begin stamens end"
>

> I'm forced to use the basic english programming syntax: if/else, while,
> for, foreach, public, private, protected,.... PLEASE: STOP IMPOSING
> ENGLISH TO THE WORLD... you are not the only one programming here.

I've got a lot of sympathy to this. I'm really surprised that I don't
hear this view more often.
I'm currently maintaining some code that was written in Italian,
modified in German, and now there's some English. It's a pig's
breakfast. But still...

My feeling is... do not program in a language which you are not fluent
in. I prefer to try to read Italian written by a native speaker, than a
garbled attempt at English -- it's horrible to read code that was
written by someone who was putting more energy into translation, than
into thinking about their programming problem.

In the open-source Fast Fourier Transform project (www.fftw.org),
there's a file with code written in Latin.
:->