best replacement for - cout << "hello D" << endl; ?

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at ya.nospam.hoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 00:29:39 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

> "Bruce Adams" <tortoise_74 at no.spam.ya.hoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:f71fdt$rfp$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
> >   I'm trying to find the 'best' replacement for C++ streaming I/O.
> > I dislike C style format strings because of the type safety issue and run
> > time interpretation issues. I'm pretty sure D works around this using a
> > typeinfo array but I keep losing the function. I understand that writefln
> > is now favoured over printf
> > (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?HowTo/printf).
>
> Type safety is not an issue with Phobos' formatting strings; they just
> happen to look like printf's formatting.  In fact you can just use %s for
> everything, and it'll figure it all out at runtime.  However if runtime type
> identification for formatted printing is not what you're looking for, you
> won't find any alternative in Phobos.

std.format.doFormat almost does what I want. It takes any array of TypeInfo objects and another array of arguments so that at there is at least a chance for type safety of some of the conversion being enforced at compile time.

What is "dout" for? When would you use it instead of stdout?

> For that, there's Tango (http://www.dsource.org/projects/Tango), an
> alternative community-driven standard library for D which is quickly gaining
> popularity.  One of Tango's claims to fame is its much more flexible and
> powerful IO framework.  I'm not sure if it still provides the C++ style <<
> and >> for writing and reading (they may have been removed), but it uses the
> same basic idea of chained overloaded operator calls, but using the call
> operator instead of the shift operators.  For example, here is a use of the
> Stdout object, similar to C++'s cout:
>
> import tango.io.Stdout;
>
> void main()
> {
>     int x = 6;
>     Stdout("X is: ")(x).newline;
> }
>
> Like in C++ streams, each item is outputted separately, and uses its own
> method overload, avoiding runtime type identification.  Objects which read
> use the same syntax (called "whisper" for reasons I don't entirely
> understand ;) ).

That is so ugly. I haven't found a page on operator overloading yet but there must be better choices availabe. Even ++ as a binary operator would be better.