Clutter GObject bindings

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:08:14 PST 2012

On 01/28/12 03:02, Sparse Push wrote:
> What is the best way to generate GObject bindings?
> I ask this because I would like to use Clutter
> (http://www.clutter-project.org/) in my D program and I don't think it has D
> bindings already.

>From the website, http://www.clutter-project.org/about :

> [...]
> Developed in C, with language bindings for Perl, Python, C#, C++, Vala and Ruby. Clutter also generates introspection data during build, for dynamic language binding using the GObject introspection API. Learn more about GObject introspection...

so, in theory, it should be possible to use girtod to create the bindings.

http://repo.or.cz/w/girtod.git/shortlog/refs/heads/master

In practice, it will likely require tweaks for some data types and errors
in the introspection files (for GTK, this took me way more time than writing
the xml parser and code generator; maybe much of the work is already done so
this will be less painful). Also, right now, girtod does not handle certain
things (eg gobject interfaces). so if clutter is using them, support will have
to be added (it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to expose the parts
of the API that i haven't used myself; once i figure that out, adding the
support will be easy, as most of the work is already done).

artur