Why are fixed length arrays passed by value while variable are passed by reference?

ixid nuaccount at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 06:37:44 PDT 2013

I know this will not be changed, I just want to understand why it
is as it is.

My naive thought is that consistency is the best scheme and that
everything should have been passed by value or everything by
reference unless the user specifies otherwise.

I have read a comment by Andrei that they tried making fixed
length arrays into reference types but it did not work well. Did
the current situation arise through the reality of language
development or is there a reason for the inconsistency?