How should I sort a doubly linked list the D way?

Mirjam Akkersdijk noreply at noreply.com
Tue Aug 13 22:19:15 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 at 21:11:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> A contiguous allocator doesn't help after the list has
> undergone a large number of insertions/deletions, because of
> fragmentation.
Fragmentation should not be an issue, I insist on keep using a
DLL for the base structure in my application and create an array
just for sorting operations. No new nodes are added and no nodes
are permanently removed.

> You can still get a cache-efficient linked list by chunking.
> [...]
I very much appreciate this thought, as I was thinking of adding
such kind of cache to my implementation. It's still in the early
stages and I have yet to see when this would make a considerable
impact. I will remember this.