Pro programmer

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 08:09:40 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 at 21:30:10 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
> I am wondering as to what is the starting point of being a pro
> programmer. If I want to be a pro programmer what language must
> I start with?

Any general purpose language will do. Basically everything can be
expressed in any language, through some tasks are very cumbersome
in tasks they are not designed for.

> Most pro programmer I have heard of are all C and C++ Guru.
> Most of the best guys on this D forum falls into that category.

C and C++ have steep learning curves, and tend to be better for
professionals than amateurs. That does not mean C/C++ usage is
what defines a pro. Even php, famous for being simple to learn
but often hated by professionals, can be used professionally.

> I really want to know programming to the core not just tied to
> a language or just at the level of drag and drop or use a
> framework or library.

Don't worry, learn to apply one language in practice and you'll
usually figure out automatically how to apply any language you
will learn. Well, sometimes when you transition to a new language
you should learn new ways to do thing, because the new language
is better suited for those than your old language.

Famous example is that C programmers that transitioned to C++ or
Java in the 90's were encouraged to start to thinking in object
oriented manner. They did not strictly have to, as C++ and Java
can be used for same programming stye as C, and C can do sort-of
object-oriented programming, but object-oriented designs were
(and are) so much easier to implement in the newer languages that
in practice, object design should be used a lot more now than in
the 70's.

> I will appreciate your help in this matter. I am ready to put
> in hard work. I ready know a little of java, actionscrip 3.0,
> kotlin, D but at the surface level but can use them to write
> app.
>
> But I am concern with matter like how can I write a GUI toolkit
> from the ground up.

Basically, GUI libraries call the operating system API that is
different for different operating systems.