Best way to learn 2d games with D?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:38:55 UTC 2020

On 3/16/20 11:19 PM, aberba wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 03:13:02 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 March 2020 at 17:58:58 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> I want to try and learn how to write 2d games. I'd prefer to do it
>>> with D.
>>>
>>> I've found a ton of tutorials on learning 2d gaming with other
>>> languages. Is there a place to look that uses D for learning? Should
>>> I just start with another language and then migrate to D later?
>>> Anyone recommend any specific tutorial/book?
>>
>> https://github.com/DerelictOrg/DerelictSFML2 is the most up to date D
>> binding to SFML library. Now that the maintainer is saying bindbc is
>> better, I'm not sure the way to go.
>>
>> Will we ever get a bindbc-sfml?
>>

>> By the way, the maintainer of DSFML went very far by creating a great
>> website with docs and tutorials at http://www.dsfml.com/
>
> You can still use DSFML with an older compiler by installing and using
> with something like DVM (https://code.dlang.org/packages/dvm)

Thanks for all your tips!

It looks like the dsfml author is still active as of June last year.

It sounds like it's possible to have it updated to work with the latest
compilers (I can probably help with that), and hopefully he is not
totally inactive.

Seems like SFML is a really common way to get started. I think I have
enough info in this thread to at least get something to play with. It's
not something I'm intending to create professionally, really the impetus
is my son wanting to do more significant game coding.

-Steve