Any way to automatically convert structs on return?

Emma VuLXn6DBW at PPtUm7TvV6nsw.com
Thu Aug 1 19:33:00 UTC 2024

Thanks everyone for the replies! I just thought it was weird that
implicit construction is seemingly supported when directly
initialising a struct but not in any other case. I guess it's
because it's clearly less ambiguous.

On Thursday, 1 August 2024 at 13:07:09 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:

> For the program you've written, I'm happy it doesn't compile,
> because a lot of the time the compiler would be making buggy
> code compile - though I would love to have a way to do it
> explicitly. In this case you can change your definition of None
> to use alias this and it will compile:

The alias this doesn't work generically, though. Either way I
agree that implicit construction, if it was present in D, should
not be the default, instead being opt-in like say through an
`implicit this(...)` or whatever instead of C++'s horrendous
implicit by default behaviour.