How to find the right function in the Phobos library?

Andy Valencia dont at spam.me
Tue Aug 20 21:53:10 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 17:31:53 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 05:28:37 UTC, Bruce wrote:
>
>> What is the best way to search for a function
>> in the Phobos library?
>
> Go to dlang.org, select dicumentation, then library reference.
>
> Pick any module, click on it
>
> In the upper right, switch the docs from stable to ddox
>
> Now you can use the search bar and it is interactive. Typing in
> indexOf found it right away.

I'm doing some network programming, and have run things down with
casts and all to the point where I have an IPv4 address.  The
documentation says it's in "host order", so obviously a 32-bit
number.  My C days tell me htonl is what's needed--but it's
nowhere to be found in the API index?  I did a search and it's
apparently under core/sys, but "sys" isn't included in the online
documentation?

Doing bulk searches in
/usr/lib/ldc/x86_64-linux-gnu/include/d/core/sys lets me run it
down to three places, of which I'd guess posix/arpa/inet.d is the
one to use.

But this all seems a little bit harder than it might be?

A map of C or Python API's to the Dlang counterpart might be the
easiest way to let people find things.