Mac OSX installer for dmd

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sun Aug 1 20:06:45 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-01 20:07:10 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Ideally we'd have a one-click OSX installer for dmd - a .dmg file. Is
> someone able and willing to own this project? I think improving the
> out-of-the-box experience is important and urgent.

I agree too. That's why I made sure the D for Xcode installer installs
DMD too, so the user doesn't have to bother about that whole mess.
<http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/>

If you download this package from Safari it'll automatically open in
Mac OS X's standard installer program from where you can proceed with
the installation. The installer package does not contains DMD: it
downloads the latest version from the website during the install
process. It installs DMD 1 and DMD 2 and makes them work both from the
command line though symlink trickery.

A nice "side effect" of using this installer is that you'll also be
ready to use D from whithin Xcode. But you can deactivate that part by
customizing the install and unchecking the relevant subpackages. You
can install just DMD 2 or just DMD 1 that way too.

Try it, it just works.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com