Why all the D hate?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Aug 24 13:48:36 PDT 2010

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:29:01 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:i51963$v0k$3 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> I can find 100 other commercial C# coders in just a few days.
>
> Now, see that's something that always bugs the hell out of me. Any
> programmer who can code in, say imperative or OO style in one language
> and *can't* pick up another imperative or OO language with ease is
> incompetent. Period. But no one outside of (real) programmers ever seems
> to realize that. (One of the reasons I despise anyone who works anywhere
> near HR.)
>
> I don't always agree with Joel Spolsky (though I often do), but one
> thing I *absolutely* agree with him on is this:
>
> "The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here, and for
> good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C
> pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code
> than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining
> that to the average HR drone."
>
> - The Perils of JavaSchools:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>
> Incidentally, that's also why I think all of those managers out there
> who choose PHP because "there are a lot of PHP programmers" are complete
> fucking morons.

The C# programmers naturally also have knowledge of the toolchain in
general: build tools, unit testing tools, document generators, coding
conventions, web frameworks, best utility libraries, and so on. Do you
think commercial application development always starts from scratch? Even
if you were Joel Spolsky, you would need few days or weeks to catch up
with the more experienced team members. Unnecessary studying isn't
acceptable when you need to produce a prototype in a week and the whole
project only lasts for 6 months.