[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:50:36 PDT 2010

Yao G. wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:27:31 -0500, Vladimir <vlad at mymail.rus> wrote:
>
>> I'm quite satisfied with the torrent version. As long as no money goes
>> directly to the D development I refuse to buy books. The book guy
>> already earns 10 to 100 times as much as a normal developer in Russia.
>
> LOL. Gotta love the way you justify being a pirate.

It's somewhat a disease in Russia. At one point, in the middle/late
1990s, piracy has gone to such lengths that almost every piece of
software, music, video and you name it was available at virtually no
cost (or at least very little compared to official prices, e.g. $3 vs
$20). From this came many homegrown "professionals" that got their hands
on things such as Windows, Visual Studio, Photoshop, 3DS MAX and so on.
They got it, clicked it, assumed it was easy to get and easy to use -
and here we are - we have a HUGE army of developers, artists,
photographers... And most of them (not all, mind you, but the very most)
- are in doublequotes just because anything they could REALLY do is find
an take, but not think and use (no offense Vladimir, maybe you ARE from
those "not all", I simply judge from my own experience). Even now I face
the professionalism and skills of my local Internet "providers" (read -
I don't use their services).

Later rise of torrents and other filetrackers put even more oil to the
fire. Now I love resources like old-games.ru - resources where you
really can find something that's just not available in any other form
today. But this is different. Even Microsoft, with all I personally
think about them, put a lot of effort into Visual Studio. And the fact
that the company is richer today than I'll probably be in my life won't
justify my "desire" to take their product for free. No one earns
anything just for the shiny eyes.