third draft: add bitfields to D

IchorDev zxinsworld at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 16:19:04 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:25:29 UTC, Dom DiSc wrote:
> bytes are just a 8bit alignment, they shouldn't be fundamental
> - but as long as these 3 lines are missing, we need a
> workaround like in the 68000er times

Multi-bit alignment (e.g. 8-bit) is a means of simplifying and
therefore speeding up the CPU architecture. Having 3 lines for
individual bits would be a huge waste of electricity. As it is, I
think being able to address individual bytes is a bit antiquated,
especially with new CPUs heavily favouring pointer-size alignment.